Biotechnology : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 30 – NIOS
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.1
- Name three different kinds of microorganisms used in the manufacture of industrial products.- Fungi, yeast, bacteria
- Name three products obtained in industries by using microorganisms.
Ans. Alcohol / antibiotics / curd / cheese / vitamins / vaccines/ biogas
- Name two alcohols produced through fermentation by yeast.- Ethanol / Butanol / Glycerol
- Name the two methods of inoculation of yeast in the medium.
Ans. Support growth system and suspended growth system
- Match the items given in columns A with those given in column B.
Column A Column B
1. Bioreactor (a) Butanol
2.Steaming under pressure (b)
3. Fermentation tank Alcohol (c) Autoclave
Ans. 1-b, 2-c, 3-a
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.2
- Name the bacterium responsible for curdling of milk.- Lactobacillus
- Who discovered antibiotic?- Alexander Fleming
- What do you mean by second generation vaccines?
Ans. Vaccines produced by the use of recombinant DNA technology
- Which was the first vitamin to be produced by fermentation?- Vitamin C
- Which bacteria cause the production of biogas?- Methanogenic bacteria
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.3
- Define genetic engineering.
Ans. Construction and use of novel DNA molecules obtained by recombinant DNA technology.
- What is a clone?
Ans. Clone is a collection of genetically identical cells obtained by asexual division of a cell.
- What do you mean by the term recombinant DNA?
Ans. When a fragment of foreign DNA is inserted in DNA of a phage or plasmid, DNA of the latter is called r-DNA.
- Where are plasmids found?- In bacteria
- Why are restriction enzymes called “molecular scissors”?
Ans. Because they can cut specific sequences of DNA
- Name the enzyme which joins DNA fragments.- ligase
- What is a clonal vector?
Ans. A phage or plamid which can carry foreign DNA and divide along withthe bacterium whose part it is.
- What do you mean by transgenic organism?
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.4
- Name any two proteins and ,
two enzymes obtained by recombinant DNA technology.
Ans. (i) Insulin, Growth hormone (ii) Proteases, Amylases
- How is recombinant DNA technology useful for pharmaceutical companies?
Ans. Antibiotics, vaccines and proteins of clinical value can be manufactured
- Name any two diseases for which bioengineered vaccines have already been developed.
Ans. Rabies and hepatitis B
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.5
- Define the term transgenic.
Ans. An organism containing foreign DNA in its genome
- Name the gall producing bacterium and the plasmid which can be conveniently used to produce transgenics.
Ans. Agrobacterium tumefaciens and T1 plasmid.
- What is bioremediation?
Ans. Bioremediation is removal of pollutants in the environment by the use of genetically engineered bacteria.
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.6
- What causes the alteration of normal functioning of a gene ?- Mutation
- Name two single gene disorders in human beings.
Ans. Haemophilia, Sickle cell anaemia, SCID (Any two)
- State which cells have a low count in Severe Combined Immuno Deficiency (SCID).
Ans. B-cells and T-cells
- Define gene therapy.
Ans. Replacement and alteration of defective gene is called gene therapy.
INTEXT QUESTIONS 30.7
- State the two approaches to human gene therapy.
Ans. Somatic and Germ line cells
- Name the three categories of somatic cell gene therapy.
Ans. In-vivo gene therapy, Ex-vivo gene therapy and Anti-sense gene therapy
- Name any two genetic diseases that can be treated by somatic gene therapy.
Ans. Thalassamia, certain types of cancer
- What is the direct delivery of the corrected gene into the tissue of the patientby the use of Adenovirus called?
Ans. In-vivo gene therapy
- Define biotechnology.
- How are alcoholic beverages produced by fermentation? Mention the steps inthe process.
- How can you make cheese and curd on a large scale?
- What are antibiotics? Name five antibiotics and their sources.
- How are different generations of vaccines produced?
- Describe the steps in the production of biogas and mention the precautionsto be taken.
- Enumerate in a sequence the steps in recombinant DNA technology.
- Describe the uses of genetic engineering.
- How can a transgenic animal be obtained?
- Write a note on bioremediation.
- Define the term gene therapy. Under what condition does it become necessaryto opt for such a therapy ?
- What is meant by human somatic gene therapy? How does it differ from thegerm line gene therapy? Which of the two have been successful so far and why?
- Discuss in brief the different types of somatic gene therapy.
- Give the cause, symptoms and treatment of haemorrhagic dengue fever.
- Give full form of STD.
- Mention any two sympotms of syphilis.
- State the means by which we may prevent and cure gonorrhoea.
- What does the term AIDS stand for?
- Write four possible symptoms of AIDS.
- Mention three general points which may control sexually transmitted diseases.
NIOS 12th class biology Q Ans
- Origin and Evolution of Life & Classification : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- The Kingdoms Monera, Protista & Fungi : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- Kingdoms Plantae & Animalia : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 3 – NIOS
- Cell Structure & Function : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 4 – NIOS
- Tissues & Others Level of Organization : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 5 – NIOS
- Root System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 6 – NIOS
- Shoot System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 7 – NIOS
- Absorption, Transport & Water Loss (Transpiration) in Plants : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 8 – NIOS
- Nutrition in Plants – Mineral Nutrition : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 9 – NIOS
- Nitrogen Metabolism : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 10 – NIOS
- Photosynthesis : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 11 – NIOS
- Respiration in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 12 – NIOS
- Nutrition and Digestion : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 13 – NIOS
- Respiration and Elimination of Nitrogenous Wastes : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 14 – NIOS
- Circulation of Body Fluids : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 15 – NIOS
- Locomotion and Movement : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 16 – NIOS
- Coordination & Control : The Nervous & Endocrine Systems | 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 17 – NIOS
- Homeostasis : The Steady State – 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 18 – NIOS
- Reproduction in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 19 – NIOS
- Previous:Growth and Development in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 20 – NIOS
- Reproduction and Population Control : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 21 – NIOS
- Principles of Genetics : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 22 – NIOS
- Molecular Inheritance and Gene Expression : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 23 – NIOS
- Genetics and Society : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 24 – NIOS
- Principles of Ecology : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 25 – NIOS
- Conservation and Use of Natural Resources : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 26 – NIOS
- Pollution : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 27 – NIOS
- Nutrition and Health : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 28 – NIOS
- Some Common Human Disease : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 29 – NIOS
I hope you liked this post (biotechnology). Be sure to subscribe to receive all new posts from this blog straight to your email inbox. Like my Facebook page to get notifications of similar posts on Facebook.
If you have any problem in understanding – Biotechnology : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 30 – NIOS then write in the comment box below.