Locomotion and Movement : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 16 – NIOS
INTEXT QUESTIONS 16.1
What would you call the following as – movement (M) or locomotion (L) ?
- The elephant uses its trunks to pick up sticks – M
- The cow uses its tail to drive away flies – M
- A mouse runs into a hole. – L
- The bees leave their hive in search of pollen – L
- Johan kicks the football into the goal – M
- The cat jumps on to the window – L
INTEXT QUESTIONS 16.2
- State the similarity in internal structure between a cilium and a flagellumas learnt in lesson 4 of your text book?
Ans. Both made of microtubules arranged in a similar manner.
- What is an effective stroke ? Which stroke is called the recovery stroke as
depicted during ciliary movement ?
Ans. Fast stroke – cilium beats to move ahead
Recovery stroke – cilium bends back to original position
- State the difference between flagella and cilia with regard to location and number
Ans. Location – cilia all over body, flagella at anterior or posterior end
Number – cilia many, flagella 1 or 2
INTEXT QUESTION 16.3
- Name the structure that connects (i) a bone to another bone (ii) muscle to
bone. Which type of tissue are these ?
Ans. Ligament; tendon; connective tissue
- Why is the muscle cell also called muscle fibre ?
Ans. because of its elongated structure
- Why is the mechanism of muscle contraction called ‘sliding movement’?
Ans. because thick and thin myofilaments slide over each other to cause muscle contraction.
- What is the chemical composition of myofilaments.
- In a muscle, where can you find the following ? myofilaments, muscle fibres.
Ans. myofilaments in muscle fibre
muscle fibres in muscle tissue
INTEXT QUESTION 16.4
- Name an animal with endoskeleton and one with exoskeleton.
Ans. any vertebrate named any insect / mollusc named
- Name main parts of skeleton and mention their functions.
Ans. axial, appendicular support, protection to interanl organs; locomotion and movement; blood cells manufactured in bone marrow gives shape to body
- Name any two disorders of the musculo–skeletal system which are hereditary.
Ans. Myaesthenia gravis; muscular dystrophy
- What causes osteoporesis and gout ? Plants and animals
Ans. Osteoporosis – lack of Ca
Gout – High level of uric acid in blood
- Which limbs are supported by which girdles and which kind of muscles are
attached to the limb skeleton ?
Ans. Pectoral – fore limbs; Pelvic – hind limb; Striped or striated
- Distinguish between the following pairs of terms:
(i) movement and locomotion
(ii) thick and thin myofilaments
(iii) tendon and ligament
(iv) cilia and flagella
(v) tropic and nastic movement
- Enlist the steps in muscle contraction as explained by sliding filament theory.
- How does Paramecium swim in water?
- Answer in one word or sentence
(i) What is the shape of actin molecule?
(ii) What is the chemical nature of troponin and tropomyosin?
(iii) What is meant by recovery stroke of cilia?
(iv) Give an example each of geotropism and phototropism.
(v) Why do we say that vertebrate muscle contraction is energy dependent?
NIOS 12th class biology Q Ans
- Origin and Evolution of Life & Classification : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- The Kingdoms Monera, Protista & Fungi : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- Kingdoms Plantae & Animalia : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 3 – NIOS
- Cell Structure & Function : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 4 – NIOS
- Tissues & Others Level of Organization : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 5 – NIOS
- Root System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 6 – NIOS
- Shoot System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 7 – NIOS
- Absorption, Transport & Water Loss (Transpiration) in Plants : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 8 – NIOS
- Nutrition in Plants – Mineral Nutrition : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 9 – NIOS
- Nitrogen Metabolism : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 10 – NIOS
- Photosynthesis : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 11 – NIOS
- Respiration in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 12 – NIOS
- Nutrition and Digestion : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 13 – NIOS
- Respiration and Elimination of Nitrogenous Wastes : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 14 – NIOS
- Circulation of Body Fluids : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 15 – NIOS
I hope you liked this post (locomotion and movement). Be sure to subscribe to receive all new posts from this blog straight to your email inbox. Like my Facebook page to get notifications of similar posts on Facebook.
If you have any problem in understanding –Locomotion and Movement : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 16 – NIOS, then write in the comment box below.