Nutrition in Plants – Mineral Nutrition : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 9 – NIOS
INTEXT QUESTIONS 9.1
- What are nutrients ?
Ans. Nutrients are the chemical substances in food
- Define aeroponics.
Ans. A technique of growing plants with roots supplied with moisture presentin the atmosphere.
- Why is it necessary to aerate nutrient solution in water culture?
Ans. To supply oxygen in sufficient quantity
INTEXT QUESTIONS 9.2
- In which form do plants get oxygen?
Ans. Molecular form from air or water
- Molybdenum is a micronutrient. Give reason.
Ans. Required by plant in very small quantity. 0.1 mg per gram of dry matteror less.
- Why are carbon, oxygen, potassium and sulphur called macronutrients?
Ans. They are required in large quantities 1-10 mg per gram of dry matter.
INTEXT QUESTIONS 9.3
- State any two metabolic processes for which mineral nutrition is required.
Ans. Membrane permeability, turgidity of cell, transport of electrons, enzyme
activity (any two)
- Which element is provided by NO2 and NH4 when taken up by plants?
- State any two functions of Ca2+ in plants?
Ans. See table 9.2
INTEXT QUESTIONS 9.4
- What is meant by ‘passive absorption’ of minerals by plants.
Ans. Without expenditure of energy
- Name the minerals whose deficiency affects normal cell division.
Ans. N, K, S, Mo (any two)
- “Deficiency of K, Ca and Mg causes necrosis of leaves”. What does this
statement mean ?
Ans. The deficiency causes death of leaf tissues
INTEXT QUESTIONS 9.5
- Give one point of difference between autotrophic and heterotrophic nutrition.
Ans. Autotrophs synthesize their own food, heterotrophs depend on others for food
- Name a plant which exhibits parasitic mode of nutrition.
Ans. Cuscuta (dodder)
- Why does pitcher plant eat insects when it is capable of carrying out
Ans. Because it grows in a nitrogen deficient habitat.
- Which element can be obtained from both mineral and non-mineral sources.
- Deficiency of which essential element causes yellowing of leaves in certain plants
- Why is magnesium included among essential elements?
- What are the criteria of essentiality of elements?
- Differentiate between micro and macro nutrients.
- Why do biologists grow plants by hydroponics technique?
- Explain the uptake of mineral nutrients by the plants.
- Give the deficiency symptoms of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
- Differentiate between the different modes of heterotrophic nutrition in plants.
- Write notes on :
(ii) Insectivorous plants
(iii) Active absorption of minerals by plants
NIOS 12th class biology Q Ans
- Origin and Evolution of Life & Classification : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- The Kingdoms Monera, Protista & Fungi : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- Kingdoms Plantae & Animalia : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 3 – NIOS
- Cell Structure & Function : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 4 – NIOS
- Tissues & Others Level of Organization : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 5 – NIOS
- Root System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 6 – NIOS
- Shoot System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 7 – NIOS
- Absorption, Transport & Water Loss (Transpiration) in Plants : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 8 – NIOS
I hope you liked this post (nutrition in plants – mineral nutrition). Be sure to subscribe to receive all new posts from this blog straight to your email inbox. Like my Facebook page to get notifications of similar posts on Facebook.
If you have any problem in understanding –Nutrition in Plants – Mineral Nutrition : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 9 – NIOS, then write in the comment box below.