Pollution : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 27 – NIOS
INTEXT QUESTIONS 27.1
- Define pollution.
Ans. Addition of unwanted substances to the environment which have adverse
effects on organisms.
- Name four types of pollution.
Ans. Air pollution, water pollution, land polluton, noise pollution.
- Name one effect on plants and one on human caused by excess SO2 in the air.
Ans. Respiratory problems in humans, chlorosis (loss of chlorophyll in plants).
INTEXT QUESTIONS 27.2
- Give two examples of natural sources of water pollution.
Ans. Soil erosion/leaking of mineral from rock/decay of organic matter.
- What is biomagnification?
Ans. Accumulation in greater concentration of chemicals at higher levels of food chain.
- Give the technical term for enrichment of water bodies with nutrients coming from fields.
- Give one source of and one disease caused by from the following pollutants
Ans. Source – Industrial waste
Disease – Nervous disorders, Kidney failure, blood poisoning
Ans. Source -Industrial dust
Disease – Affects central nervous system (CNS) Affects, vision
Ans. Source – Aerosols, industrial dust
Disease – Pulmonary disorders, dermatitis
INTEXT QUESTIONS 27.3
- What is soil erosion?
Ans. Detachment and removal of soil particle by flowing water and blowing
- Name the various types of soil erosion.
Ans. Wind erosion, sheet erosiion, Gully erosion.
- Name any two natural factors responsible for soil erosion.
Ans. Wind, water
- How does terracing prevent soil erosion?
Ans. Terracing is a method of farming to conserve the thin soil layer on the mountain slopes. This helps in controlling soil erosion and using water resources of these areas more economically and effectively for growing crops on these terraces.
INTEXT QUESITONS 27.4
- Name any two biodegradable pollutants.
Ans. Sewage, kitchen, waste, certain agricultural waste, hay, dung etc. (any
- Mention two source of noise pollution.
Ans. loud speakers/sound of automobiles /sound from heavy machines/fire works (any two)
- Name any two green house gases.
Ans. Nitrogren oxides, methane, carbon dioxide, chlorofluoro carbons. (any two)
- What is acid rain?
Ans. When harmful gases like SO2 and NOx in the atmosphere dissolve in water
to form acid during veins.
INTEXT QUESTIONS 27.5
- Give one example each of natural and man made radiations
Ans. Solar/cosmic (any one); x-ray/gamma rays (any one)
- List two wastes of atomic explosion.
Ans. Radioactive Iodine and strontium
- Name the containers which should be used for the disposal of nuclear wastes.
Ans. Lead containers
- List any two harmful effects of nuclear radiations.
Ans. (i) cancer (ii) gene mutations.
- Which of the following are biodegradable materials?
Aluminium, wood, fruit peels, DDT, paper, glass, dung
- Which gaseous pollutant has the ability to absorb infra-red radiations?
- A ship carrying oil from the gulf region collides with hug rocks and get damaged.
It this just news or has some serious consequences? Give your opinion in one
- To set up a new industry, a large forest area had to be cut. List four ways in
which the environment in that area may be affected.
- List any three ways in which noise from various sources can affect the well-
being of a person. Suggest few methods to control noise pollution.
- What does ‘Global warming’ mean ? Name the gas responsible for this
phenomenon and why should it be considered an environmental problem.
- How would you classify the waste generated at home? What is the difference between the different groups? How would you manage this waste so that it cause least pollution?
NIOS 12th class biology Q Ans
- Origin and Evolution of Life & Classification : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- The Kingdoms Monera, Protista & Fungi : 12th Class Biology Notes – NIOS
- Kingdoms Plantae & Animalia : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 3 – NIOS
- Cell Structure & Function : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 4 – NIOS
- Tissues & Others Level of Organization : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 5 – NIOS
- Root System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 6 – NIOS
- Shoot System : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 7 – NIOS
- Absorption, Transport & Water Loss (Transpiration) in Plants : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 8 – NIOS
- Nutrition in Plants – Mineral Nutrition : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 9 – NIOS
- Nitrogen Metabolism : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 10 – NIOS
- Photosynthesis : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 11 – NIOS
- Respiration in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 12 – NIOS
- Nutrition and Digestion : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 13 – NIOS
- Respiration and Elimination of Nitrogenous Wastes : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 14 – NIOS
- Circulation of Body Fluids : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 15 – NIOS
- Locomotion and Movement : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 16 – NIOS
- Coordination & Control : The Nervous & Endocrine Systems | 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 17 – NIOS
- Homeostasis : The Steady State – 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 18 – NIOS
- Reproduction in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 19 – NIOS
- Previous:Growth and Development in Plants : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 20 – NIOS
- Reproduction and Population Control : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 21 – NIOS
- Principles of Genetics : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 22 – NIOS
- Molecular Inheritance and Gene Expression : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 23 – NIOS
- Genetics and Society : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 24 – NIOS
- Principles of Ecology : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 25 – NIOS
- Conservation and Use of Natural Resources : 12th Class Biology Q Ans Lesson 26 – NIOS
I hope you liked this post (pollution). Be sure to subscribe to receive all new posts from this blog straight to your email inbox. Like my Facebook page to get notifications of similar posts on Facebook.
If you have any problem in understanding –Pollution : 12th Class Biology Question Answer Lesson 27 – NIOS then write in the comment box below.